Private Fostering

Many people don’t realise that by law Bolton Council must be notified when parents make arrangements for their child to be cared for by friends, neighbours or extended family for more than 28 days.

When parents make plans for their child to be cared for like this it is called a Private Fostering Arrangement. Private Fostering happens for lots of different reasons some of which include:

  • Children living with a friend’s family as a result of separation, divorce or problems at home
  • Children sent to this country for education or health care by birth parents living overseas
  • Teenagers living with the family of a boyfriend or girlfriend
  • Teenagers who have broken ties with their parents and are staying with friends or non-relatives
  • Those living with host families whilst pursuing courses of study


What do you need to do?

Whether you are a parent or carer who has made or is considering a private fostering arrangement or you are working with a child who may be privately fostered; it is your responsibility to tell us about it.
You can contact Bolton Safeguarding Children Board on: